Obviously, I am super frugal and many of the decorations in my house have been little finds at the dollar store or Target bins! You can find some great things there and adjust them to really work with your personal style! I managed to make this door hanger for only $5.00!
- Wooden heart (target dollar bins $3.00)
- 1 yard of tulle ($1.00 in the discount bin @ Walmart) cut into 4 inch wide strips
- Hot glue
- Silhouette machine with the "Get Your Cupid On" design downloaded from the Silhouette store ($0.99)
- Silhouette vinyl transfer materials (hook, transfer paper, vinyl, etc.)
- Modge Podge
- Open your Silhouette Design Studio and download the "Get your cupid on" design. Resize it to fit your heart and then set the cut settings to vinyl, the blade depth to 2 and insert your chosen vinyl color and cut it out!
- Once you have your design cut and cleaned up (using the hook helps clean this design up quickly and easily), use your transfer paper and place it over the design. Using the flat black tool, secure the transfer paper to the vinyl and lift off.
- Place your design on the wooden heart in the center and again use the flat black tool to seal it onto the wood.
- Carefully remove the transfer paper. This can be tricky, particularly if your wood has slats in it like mine, so be very gentle and go slowly.
- Take your tulle pieces and begin to adhere them to the wood in a "wiggly loop" pattern. Basically I placed a line of glue down and stuck the end of the tulle into it. I then made a loop like I was tying my shoe and added another line of glue and pressed the tail-end of the loop on it. I just repeated and repeated until the entire outside of the heart was covered.
- If you like the loop version then leave it. Personally I wanted this to look a little more tutu-esque so I went ahead and cut each loop. When you look at the #6 picture above the left side of the picture is the tulle that is cut and the right side is it left in loops. It doesn't look like much but I think it makes all the difference to cut each loop.
- Use your Modge Podge and apply it over the vinyl and wood to seal it. Allow to dry and then hang up!
I really love the way this turned out and although I have enjoyed my wreath projects, this has been something a little fun and different to try. It looks great with my style and was pretty easy too.
Like it? PIN IT, SHARE IT!