This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SpooktacularSnacks #CollectiveBias
The cereal isle with kids is either a hit or miss. They're either ok with grabbing a box and enjoying later or they want to fully analyze all the box options. As soon as we spotted the Halloween cereal boxes with a build your own castle option, my kids eyes lit up and my crafty mind got to work. I came up with two sweet treats and a great spooktacular family night for all.
The selling point though was the back of the boxes. Sure the delicious flavors, fun names and marshmallows were great but turn the boxes around and you have a quick and easy family night at hand. I am fairly confident that my son could not wait to get home and build our spooky castle. He lined these boxes right up and kept talking about how the monsters would play together.
I decided that we needed a couple snacks and since I could not decide on just one, I made two...in less than 30 minutes. I wanted a sweet snack that we could enjoy as we put the castle together and a little activity. I started by making these from scratch buttermilk donuts with cream cheese frosting and Franken Berry® and Boo Berry® cereal pieces.
Ingredients (Makes 1 dozen, Serving size: 1 donut)
- 2 cups of cake flour (basically remove 4 TBS of flour and replace with 4 TBS of corn starch to make 2 cups of cake flour)
- 3/4 cup of sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp of nutmeg
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 2 TBS melted butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 can of your favorite pre-made frosting
- 2 cups of Franken Berry® & 2 cups of Boo Berry® cereals
- 1 donut pan for baking
Directions (Prep time: 10 minutes):
- Preheat oven to 375° and grease and flour the donut pan
- Mix dry ingredients together first
- Next mix in the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients
- Using a buttered spatula place dough in donut pan about 2/3 full
- Bake for 10-15 minutes until golden brown
- Remove from oven and allow to cool completely
- Next frost the donuts with your pre-made canned frosting (bonus if you want to make your own!)
- Dip the donut frosting side down into the cereal
- Serve and enjoy
While the donuts were baking the husband went to work on the Monster Crunch Treats! I was super excited to do this with my kids. They love to create art and are really into Halloween and spooky monsters so I thought it would be perfect to decorate the crunch treats to look like monsters.
Ingredients (Makes 12 treats, Serving Size 1):
- 5 cups of Count Chocula® cereal
- 4 cups of mini marshmallows
- 1/4 stick of butter
- Canned frosting of choice in white (easier for food coloring)
- Food coloring
- Halloween sprinkles
- Eyeball candies
Directions (Prep time: 5 minutes):
- Melt the butter in a large sauce pan
- Add marshmallows and mix until liquid (this happens fast)
- In an 13 x 9 in pan butter the sides and place the dry cereal
- Pour the liquid marshmallow mix over the cereal and begin mixing quickly with a buttered spatula.
- Evenly distribute the cereal treats in the pan and allow to cool.
- Next, set up your monster decorating treat station.
- Mix your frosting colors, prep the sprinkles, cut the cereal treats apart and lay out a piece of wax paper for each person to decorate their monster crunch treat on.
- Let loose, be creative, laugh and out spook each other with your monstrous creations.
Once we had made our monster crunch treats, it was time to indulge in our castle building and donut eating time. My husband diligently cut out the pieces of the castle. You need all three cereal boxes to create the complete castle. You can see our progress here in my little video. I am starting to fall in love with these.
Overall we had a fantastic time creating spooktacular memories and enjoying some sweet treats. We will most definitely be doing this again. For more ideas on creating your own family nights with great recipes click here.
Tell me, what is your families go to sweet treat?