This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #HolidayHens #CollectiveBias
This weekend was wonderful. My graduate school finals finished. The classes that I teach all but wrapped up (finals this week)! Oh and it was our 4th annual holiday party! We keep the gathering small but the food is always great and this year I decided to create this gourmet Cornish Hen meal in a little over an hour to share!
Last year King Soopers opened a stunning Marketplace about 2 minutes from my house. Safe to say this is my happy place. It has everything; groceries, furniture, clothes, etc. What is also has is great deals and coupons and the more I shop the more coupons they tend to send me. When I was deciding what to make, I opened up my King Soopers app on my phone and scanned through the coupons. I noticed that they had a digital coupon for Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens. I like these because the at 100% natural with no artificial ingredients, preservatives, hormones or steroids. Perfect for my dinner plan so I grabbed my digital coupons and headed to King Soopers in search of stunning ingredients for a great evening with friends.
My store keeps Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens in both the open center freezer isles as well as the frozen food isles. They were easy to find, which always makes my life better. I decided to slow cook these hens and create a side dish that screamed gourmet.
Ingredients to make the hens (serves 4+):
- 2 Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens
- 2 C Chicken Stock
- 2 sprigs fresh sage
- 2 springs fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 5 TBS butter
- About 6 hours before serving set up your slow cooker.
- Place the frozen cornish hens in the cooker
- Add the other ingredients in and set it to high.
- The hens will cook beautifully and the meat should fall right off the bone and melt in your mouth. This part of the set up takes about 5 minutes.
Now onto the exquisite side dish. I had never tried acorn squash but friends were raving and they were also on sale so I thought I would give it a go. What I created was pretty much heavenly and just looking at the pictures I want more.
Ingredients for the Stuffed Acorn Squash (serves 4+):
- 1 acorn squash
- 1 roll of breakfast sausage
- 1 tsp black pepper
- Olive Oil
- 4 leafs of Kale
- 1/2 bag of stuffing mix
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1/2 stick of butter
- 1 C chicken stock
- Garlic Salt to taste
- Parmesan Cheese to taste
I have to admit I was nervous and was limited on time. We needed to leave for the party in a snowstorm in 2 hours and I still needed to cook and get the family ready to leave. I preheated my oven to 350 degrees and got to work.
- As stated above, preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Wash the acorn squash and slice in half (this took some muscle)
- Scoop out the seeds and then brush olive oil on the open face of the squash as well as in the center.
- Sprinkle the pepper all over it (we like spicy so I used more).
- Flip the Squash over on a cookie sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes.
As I was preparing the squash I was simultaneously prepping the stuffing mixture. This was easy.
- Brown the sausage
- Add chopped kale, onions, butter and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- In a casserole dish, pour the stuffing mix.
- Pour the sausage mixture into the casserole dish with the stuffing mix and blend evenly.
- Cover and bake for 25-30 minutes at 350 degrees.
As you can see above, I had 3 different items in the oven. The last item which I forgot to snap photos of, was actually the second dish I prepped. I simple took tri-colored carrots and potatoes, with some butter, parmesan and garlic salt and covered them and baked them for about 45 minutes at 350. The order of prep went slow cooking the Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens, prepping the carrot/potato side, and simultaneously making the stuffing and acorn squash.
Finally I pulled everything out of the oven, stuffed those acorn squash full of the stuffing mixture and serve this amazing gourmet dinner to rave reviews. It was easily one of the yummiest dinners I have created in a long time and what made it better was the company we shared it with. The meal was a hit and really only took a total of about an hour to complete.
Shake up your holiday with Tyson® and grab some cornish hens for your next gathering. They really work for any event and were a wonderful dish. Check out more simple recipes with Tyson® Premium Cornish Hens on their website.
Are you ready to shake up your event with this easy gourmet meal?